Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are light, fluffy, and bursting with flavor! Pancakes are a breakfast staple for families and nothing says weekend like homemade pancakes for breakfast. I boosted our pancake recipe and made Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Lemon Glaze.
Last week I took my children out for a late breakfast as we had just seen a play, The Velveteen Rabbit, and we were near one of our favorite breakfast locations . . . that is actually not anywhere near, where we live . . . so it was a special treat to see a play AND to get to eat breakfast at one of our favorite restaurants.
My kids are pretty predictable at restaurants and basically order the same exact thing every single time. And, I could say the same for myself. I don't usually try anything new, but stick to what I know I like.
However, this time around I saw something new and was intrigued. Intrigued and hungry, so I changed up from what I usually order and picked this something new. Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes.
I am pretty picky about my pancakes in that I don't like them to be large and flat. Do you know what kind of shape I am speaking about? I prefer my pancakes to be small and fluffy. Really, really fluffy!
Our breakfast comes and my children dive into their same old, same old and are happy as ever. My face was instantly deflated upon seeing my very large, very flat pancakes. I can't tell you how much I really do not like flat pancakes. Like, super disappointed.
I took a few bites and naturally, Miss Picky Pants that I am, I did not like them. I did not enjoy the flat Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with cold syrup (which, can I tell you something . . . this is another thing I really dislike . . . . cold syrup on hot pancakes? Really? Why do restaurants do this?) and warm strawberries on top. My plate was obviously sitting in the window too long.
Once I got home, I couldn't get the idea of Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes out of my mind. I really wanted some super fluffy Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes. So, I made my very own. And they were fabulous! Like, I think this is all I am ever going to eat for breakfast now - that fabulous!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes & Lemon Glaze
1½ cup Organic Flour(I prefer King Arthur)
2 tsp Baking Powder
¼ cup Organic Raw Sugar
1¼ cup Organic Whole Milk
1 Large Organic Egg
1 Whole Lemon/Zested/Squeezed
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1-2 tbsp Poppy Seeds
2 tbsp Butter, melted
½ cup Powdered Sugar
2 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Make the Lemon Glaze first. Simply add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Set aside and prepare the pancake batter. This Lemon Glaze can be double if you are making more pancakes.
This recipe usually makes about 12 pancakes. If you make the batter a bit more runny, you will get more pancakes. And they will not be as fluffy.
2. Stir the flour and baking powder together. With a wire whisk in a bowl, mix the sugar, egg, milk and vanilla. Add the lemon juice and zest from one fresh lemon. (You can add more if you like) Add 1-2 tbsp of the poppy seeds. I do not like a lot of poppy seeds, but if you do, add more. (I only added 1 tbsp to my mixture). The batter will be thick and slightly lumpy and this is the consistency you want. (Do not overmix) If you feel as if they batter is too thick, add a bit more milk, but in small portions.
3. Let the batter stand for about two to five minutes. Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto your a pancake griddle pan (and if you DO NOT have one of these - GET ONE TODAY!!). Cook pancakes 1- 1 1/4 minutes per side, or until golden brown, turning only once.
4. Place your pancakes on a plate in a stack.
5. Pour the Lemon Glaze over the top of your stack. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top if you like that. Add some fruit if you fancy.
I cut up a strawberry and added some lemon zest to the top of mine.
ENJOY! I certainly did. I will no longer take a detour from my predictable ordering and instead make my pancakes at home. At least I know they will be fluffy!