It was so easy, I thought I’d share the recipe with you all. This IS a canning recipe, although I do have some a recipe for NON canning jam as well that I will post later.
Don’t be afraid, YOU CAN DO IT! And the taste is WORTH it!
- 5 (1 lb containers) strawberries (wash, hull, chop & mash)
- 6 2/3 cups sugar
- 6 Tbsp fruit pectin (I used Ball RealFruit Classic Pectin)
- Instant Coffee Granules (1-1/2 tsp dissolved in 1 Tbsp water)
- Lemon Zest, Lime Zest, Orange Zest (2 Tbsp)
- Balsamic Vinegar (2 Tbsp)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (1/2 tsp)
- Mint Extract (1/4 tsp)
- Minced Crystallized Ginger (3/4 tsp)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- Vanilla Bean (take a half of a Vanilla Bean Pod, and split in half lengthwise, scraping seeds from the middle)
Ingredients that replace 1 cup of strawberries:
- 1 cup crushed Red Raspberries
- 1 cup crushed Blackberries
- 1 cup crushed Blueberries
- 1 cup finely chopped Mango
- 1 cup finely chopped Kiwi
- 1 cup finely chopped Peaches
- 1 cup crushed Bananas
- Potato masher
- Large sauce pan
- Glass Jars, seals and lids (makes 8 pint sized jars)
- Measuring Cup
STEP 1: Put 5 cups of strawberries into 9X12 glass dish and mash the strawberries. (if you are using secret ingredients, simply replace 1 cup of strawberries with the 1 cup of fruit of your choice and add any other delights you may like)
STEP 2: Stir in 6 Tbsp fruit pectin into the strawberry mixture and place on stovetop. Bring to rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly!
STEP 3: Once mixture is boiling add in 6 2/3 cups sugar and return to full boil and boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
STEP 4: Ladle hot jam in to hot jars, one at a time, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars, apply bands and adjust to fingertip tight.
STEP 5: Place filled jars into stockpot of simming water (make sure your jars are covered with water). Cover and heat to a boil for 10 minutes.
STEP 6: Turn off heat and leave jars in water for 5 mintues. Remove jars and cool for 12 hours. Press the center of the cooled lid. If sealed, the lid will not move up and down.
STEP 7: Store sealed jars for up to 1 year.
STEP 8: ENJOY!