This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
Now that the weather is cooling off as we head into fall here in the Windy City, I won't be outdoors as much burning off excess calories; which means that I need to focus a little bit more on building fitness into my fall and winter routines. Now I will need to get back in the habit of exercising just for the sake of exercise. To ease myself into it, I've decided to create some meals that will inspire me with a holiday-inspired fitness plan.
Everyone knows it is the season to eat, drink and be merry. But all those extra calories (Pumpkin Spice Latte anyone? Caramel apples, eh? Halloween Candy, oy?) and all my snacking are starting to show and I need to start shedding some pounds. I have always eaten whatever I wanted with nary a thought to the calories.
However, those days are over as I enter my mid forties. I need to learn how to control the portions of the food I am eating. I need to learn to eat a handful of a snack versus the entire bag! Or better still, I need to select a different version of a snack altogether.
It has been a bit of trial and error for someone who has always stuffed their face with whatever she wanted (yes, that would be me). I am learning what foods values are in calories and how much food I can eat.
Chicken Sweet Potato Burger with Guacamole
I have loads of recipes floating around in my head to keep me on target through the holidays. If you need some inspiration for a quick and easy meal that includes some holiday favorites, this recipe is sure to get your taste buds flowing. This burger is so light, delicious, and full of flavor. The sweet potato slices eliminate a lot of extra calories and carbs, and the guacamole adds a punch to the pattie without adding more points.
The Boca Original Chik 'n Veggie Patties are wonderfully seasoned for my tasty alternative to the traditional grilled burgers. I added a slice of turkey bacon for added flavor and I whipped up some homemade guacamole which balanced out the pattie perfectly.
I realized that I could use sweet potato slices instead of bread for a number of my meals. If you didn't already know this, sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins A and C, plus provide calcium, potassium (which balances out excess sodium) and iron. Sweet potatoes also help keep your blood pressure in check.
I topped my Boca Original Chik 'n Veggie Pattie with one slice of turkey bacon and a heaping tablespoon of homemade guacamole.
Although avocado is high in fat, it is very good for you because it is only monounsaturated fat. Avocados contain zero cholesterol and have potassium, vitamin C, B6, magnesium, and iron. My only problem with avocados is that I want to eat the entire one by myself!
My Chicken Bacon Sweet Potato Burger with Guacamole recipe is great paired with a Kale, Fennel & Apple Salad.
Kale, Fennel & Apple Salad
If you need a quick and healthy side dish for the upcoming holidays, start with Kale. Then add some Fennel, which is a nutritious powerhouse together. Fennel is loaded with fiber, Vitamins A & C, potassium and calcium. This salad is very low in calories, but super high in nutrition. Toss in some apples slices to add a bit of sweetness.
IF YOU MAKE ONE OF THESE CHICKEN SWEET POTATO BURGERS WITH GUACAMOLE, BE SURE TO POST IT TO INSTAGRAM. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOURS!
What’s on your fitness to do list for the holidays?
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash and peel the sweet potato and cut into ½ inch slices.
- Lightly coat with fat of choice (I used coconut oil) and lay out the sweet potato slices.
- Lay the strips of turkey bacon on another baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake both for 20 - 30 minutes(it really depends on your oven). Flip the bacon and sweet potatoes halfway through. While the sweet potatoes and bacon cook prepare the guacamole.
- When you are ready to turn the turkey bacon and the sweet potatoes, place your Boca original chik'n veggie patties on another baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Assemble each burger by topping a sweet potato slice with a pattie, 1 slice of turkey bacon, a large tablespoon of guacamole and another sweet potato slice.
Chicken Sweet Potato Burger
- Boca original chik'n veggie patties
- 1 large sweet potato
- turkey bacon
- homemade guacamole
- 3 large avocados, chopped
- 6 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
In a large bowl, add the avocados, tomatoes, shallot, cilantro and lemon juice; season with salt. Stir together. ENJOY!
Kale, Fennel & Apple Salad
- 1 bundle of Kale
- 1 large Fennel bulb
- 1 Crisp Apple
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Lemon
- Real Salt
- Remove stems from kale and cut or tear into thin pieces.
- Cut bulb from fennel and slice thinly across. Chop up the fennel fronds as well, these are my favorite part of the fennel!
- Core, halve, and thinly slice apple(you can leave the peel if you like, I always peel mine off as I don't like the peel).
- Mix the vinegar, lemon juice and the oil together and pour over the salad.